Movement Tray MakerRegular price $0.01
So here it is, your one-stop location for all your movement tray-making needs—no need to search or jump around from page to page looking for your tray sizes or materials. You can do all of it from right here.
NOTE: A complex engine is running in the background of this Maker page. Each step may put rules/limits in place for the next step. Please follow the steps outlined below to get the best experience making your Movement Trays. If you need to reset/see all the available options in any menu, put all menus back on -- Please Select -- and start from Step 1 again.
Step 1: Choose the Base Size and the Base Shape that will be going on your tray. Some options from one menu will be disabled/greyed out based on the choice of the other menu.
Step 2: Select the MDF Thickness required for that tray part.
Step 3: Select the tray Style from those listed (more details below). Some options will be disabled/greyed out because of your selected Base Shape. They are simply not compatible.
Step 4: Select the Regiment Model Width and Depth.
Step 5: Adjust the Quantity.
Voila! Add To Cart.
IMPORTANT: If you do not see your Base Shape, Base Size, or Style, don't hesitate to contact us so we can do our best to add them. It's usually easy for us to do.
Here's a breakdown of what each tray consists of:
MDF Thickness All MDF components for your tray will be made in the Thickness chosen from the pull-down option.
All movement trays (i.e. in the Style of Raw MDF, Magnetic and Magflex) come with One (1) Laser cut MDF base plate, as well as a 4mm mitred lip (three pieces, one being for the front and two for the sides).
- A 3mm thick MDF tray will have a total profile height of 6mm.
- A 1.8mm thick MDF tray will have a total profile height of 3.6mm.
- A 1.8mm Base and 3mm Lip will have a total profile height of 4.8mm
All MDF components are supplied on an MDF 'sprue'. They can easily be removed with a hobby knife at the 0.5mm join locations.
You can glue the lip in place with either super glue (for an instant fit) or PVA wood glue (for a slower, more controlled bond).
'Full Lip 4 Sides' Option: If you want your tray to have all four sides included (front, back, left and right), please change this option to 'Yes'. If 'No' is selected, you will receive the standard three pieces for the front and sides of the tray. Please note that this option will add 10% to the price of the tray.
Magnetic Trays also come with a 0.6mm thick Flexible Magnetic Steel insert (adhesive-backed). You don't need any glue to attach it.
PLEASE NOTE: Magnetic movement trays are not supplied with magnets and should only be used with metal-based models, plastic bases with the likes of washers glued under them or Magflex Base Bottoms from our Mag-Maker. Due to the polarity zones/fields across the magnetic sheet, magnets can't be used as they will always want to be pulled into these zones, thus leaving your regiments unorganised. If you want to use a 'Magnet and Tray' system, please refer to the Magflex version.
Magflex Trays also have a 0.7mm Flexible Steel insert (non-magnetised) with adhesive backing. No glue is required for fixing. Additionally, there are enough 3mm x 2mm Disc Rare Earth Magnets for the appropriate amount of figures that fit on your selected size tray. Larger bases on the tray will receive more magnets per base
- 20mm, 25mm and 32mm and 20mm x 25mm - 1 magnet per base
- 40mm and 50mm - 4 magnets per base
- 50mm x 25mm - 2 magnets per base.
Glue your magnets to the hollow underside of your plastic base and sit them on your tray, and you'll then be ready to move your models around the table without them falling over.
Magflex Trays & Base Kits also have a 0.7mm Flexible Steel insert (non-magnetised) with adhesive backing. No glue is required for fixing. Enough bases of the appropriate size for your selected tray dimensions. All bases are Laser cut 3mm MDF, with or without slots, as chosen from the above pull-down menu. Each base has enough holes cut to insert 3mm x 3mm x 3mm cube Rare Earth Magnets. You'll also receive 3mm Cube Rare Earth Magnets for the appropriate number of bases that fit on your selected size tray. Larger bases supplied with the tray get more magnets per base.
- 20mm, 25mm, 32mm and 20mm x 25mm - 1 magnet per base
- 40mm and 50mm - 4 magnets per base
- 50mm x 25mm - 2 magnets per base.
Skirmish Trays, Square & Round, do not include any of the above components. Instead, they are supplied with Two (2) Lasercut MDF plates, the top piece cut with holes to fit your miniature bases. Blank bases are included in case you want to fill unused holes. Place some matching scenery on them to disguise the holes from view. It is also best used when removing casualties and plugging the hole. Glue the top piece to the bottom, and your tray is ready to have details added.
- Square are designed for units that can move in a square and spread out formation (up to a half inch/12.5mm apart). A quarter inch/6.25mm of MDF material is around the outside edge.
- Round are designed for loose formation units in a random pattern. While there is a 3mm edge around the boundary of the model bases, the distance between models can vary from 3 mm to 12 mm. These trays are made with Regiment Model Width & Depth from the menus above as a guide to create the tray. For example, the image on this page for the Skirmish Tray, Round, is a 3W x 2D tray.
Conversion Trays like the Skirmish Trays above are supplied with Two (2) Lasercut MDF plates, the top piece cut with holes to fit your miniature bases. They are designed for miniatures mounted on round bases but need a square rank and file formation to play. It can also be used for model transport. Blank MDF bases are included in case you want to fill unused holes. Place some matching scenery on them to disguise the holes from view. Perfect for removing casualties and plugging the hole. Glue the top piece to the bottom, and your tray is ready to have details added.
Check out the instructional video!!!
MDF Movement Trays are a great way to deploy your regimental troops on the gaming table. Easy to assemble and use, you can also detail your trays with the same scenics as your miniature bases. At its simplest, MDF Movement Trays eliminate the need to march troops across the table one at a time. At their most complex, you can also have magnetised models that stick to your tray, eliminating any chance of your precious models falling over and damaging their awesome paint jobs.
- Precision Laser Cut 3mm/1.8mm MDF (Medium Density Fiber Board). MDF is dense, flat, stiff, and has no knots like grained plywood. Its fine particles provide dimensional stability without a predominant "grain" (as with lumber). Unlike most plywood, MDF contains no voids and delivers crisp edges. Use PVA Wood glue to attach your favourite scenery materials.
- Rare Earth Magnet technology lets each magnetised miniature 'click' into place onto the tray (see Maglfex or Magnetic Trays for more details on magnetising your models and trays). Each miniature can easily be added/removed to simulate casualties or healed units.
- They are easily assembled. Just glue and go.
- Durable, hard-wearing, and can handle the knocks of any gaming session.